No matter your hair texture, embracing and caring for your natural hair can be a self-care activity that brings great rewards. Natural haircare allows you to enjoy your hair in its most natural state while still providing the necessary nourishment and hydration it needs to be vibrant and healthy. Read on to learn all about why natural haircare is so important and how it can allow you to reap the many benefits.
1. Uncovering the Beauty of Natural Hair
Natural hair is one of the true unique things that separates human beings from animals, and it has a remarkable beauty that is often overlooked. With the right care, it can be a glamorous and eye-catching feature, without having to resort to harsh chemicals or difficult maintenance.
- Regularly hydrate your scalp and deep condition your hair.
- Frequent, but gentle shampooing and conditioning.
- Trimming regularly to prevent split ends.
- Using minimal heat, like experimenting with air drying and avoiding heated styling tools.
Pampering natural hair is the key to unlocking its full beauty potential. It is important to nourish and protect the natural condition of the hair with nourishing, moisturizing products like natural oils and butters such as coconut, argan, jojoba, and avocado, which provide essential fatty acids to help improve the structure of the hair. The oils can help to maintain a balanced pH level, promote healthy growth, and prevent breakage and dryness.
Protective styling is another way to enhance the appearance of your natural hair. Experimenting with different styles like braids, twists, braided updos, or buns can help keep your strands away from the elements as well as providing an elegant, creative look.
For some, protecting natural hair means avoiding the use of relaxers, heat, and other chemical treatments. Heat damage in particular can be hard to undo and can cause long-term damage. For this reason, it’s best to stick to low heat or so-called heatless styling methods.
Regularly taking time for your natural hair can not only be rewarding in terms of great hair, but also a great way to relax and feel pampered. With a little bit of creativity, knowledge, and patience, you can easily uncover the beauty of natural hair.
2. Revealing Your Natural Hair Texture
Achieving desirable hair is achievable for everyone – no matter which hair type you have. is possible with the right products and tools, all the way from coarse, kinky curls to fine, straight strands. Let’s get started!
- Step One: Determine Your Hair Type
Before you start styling, you’ll want to know which type of hair you have. Most people fit into one of five categories: Type 1 (straight), Type 2 (wavy), Type 3 (curly), Type 4 (coily or kinky) or A combination of two or three. If you’re not sure, or your hair changes based on the weather, humidity level, or natural oils at any given time, it might be best to experiment in the shower to identify your texture more accurately.
- Step Two: Wash and Condition
Regardless of what type of hair you have, the wash and condition step are essential. A deep conditioning treatment followed by a thorough, lukewarm water rinse will help to rid your strands of impurities and provide the foundation for long-term health.
- Step Three: Air or Blow Dry
If you want to reveal your natural texture, you’ll need to put down the styling tools and brushes. Consider air drying or using a blow dryer with a diffuser to form a distinct curl pattern or reduce frizz. Regardless of the method you choose, be sure to apply a light, water-based styling product to help condition and hold the style.
- Step Four: Embrace It!
You made it – now is the time to appreciate your natural texture! With the right products, techniques, and nutrient-rich ingredients, no matter your hair type, you can make your hair look its best. Remember, healthy, beautiful hair that showcases your texture starts with an effort to love and care for your hair in its natural state.
3. Caring for Your Natural Hair
can be intimidating and difficult if you don’t know what you’re doing, but the key is to find a routine that works for you and fits your lifestyle. Here’s some tips to get you started:
Find the right shampoo and conditioner: Choosing the right shampoo and conditioner is important to keep your hair healthy and strong. Look for products that are specifically formulated for your hair type, whether it is fine, course, or somewhere in between. A hydrating shampoo and moisturizing conditioner are usually best for natural hair.
Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water is important for keeping any type of hair healthy and strong, but it’s especially important for natural hair. Make sure to drink 8-10 glasses of water every day to keep your hair hydrated.
Deep condition: Natural hair needs extra moisture in order to retain its strength and elasticity, so it’s important to deep condition your hair regularly. Pick out a deep conditioner that is formulated specifically for your hair type and use it at least once a week. You can also do an oil treatment before you deep condition to help your hair retain more moisture.
Protect it against heat: Heat is one of the biggest enemies of natural hair, so it’s important to protect it as much as possible. If you’re going to be using hot tools on your hair, make sure to apply a heat protectant product first. Also, limit the use of these tools to once a week or less if possible.
Trim your ends regularly: It’s important to trim your ends every 6-8 weeks to keep your hair healthy. This helps to prevent split ends and breakage, which can cause damage to your hair over time. If you’re not comfortable cutting your hair yourself, you can always go to a salon to get a professional trim.
Use protective styles: Protective styles are hairstyles that help to protect your hair from the elements and prevent damage. Styles like braids, buns, and twists are great protective styles and can help to keep your hair healthy and strong. Be sure to keep your protective styles neat by moisturizing them regularly and taking them down every few weeks.
4. Where to Find Inspiration for Natural Haircare
If you’re looking for ways to bring life back into your natural hair, you should start with finding inspiration for your haircare routine. Inspiration can come from anywhere but there are a few go-to places where you can find all the resources you need to keep your natural hair looking and feeling its best.
1. Social Media – There are numerous Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube accounts which offer tips, tricks, and product recommendations for natural hair. Check out the hashtag #teamnatural and you’ll find yourself scrolling through endless images and stories showing how others stay inspired to love and care for their hair.
2. Blog – Natural hair blogs are a great source of ideas when it comes to finding inspiration for your haircare routine. From tutorials to product reviews and how-tos, these blogs have something for everyone. All you have to do is search for a blog that caters to your specific needs.
3. Hair Salons/Barbershops – Most hair salons and barbershops now offer services for natural hair. This is a great opportunity to talk to a professional about how to best handle and care for your hair. By getting personalized advice tailored to your specific hair type, you’ll be able to find a routine that works for you.
4. Your Friends – Surrounding yourself with other naturalistas is one of the best ways to keep up with the latest trends and find inspiration for your haircare routine. Ask your friends what techniques and products they use to keep their hair looking great. You may even find yourself trying out a new look you would have never thought of on your own!
If you take away anything from this article, it’s that you can still embrace your natural texture and confidently care for your hair all at the same time! The feeling of having natural, healthy, and beautiful hair is incomparable and can be achieved with the right mindset and natural haircare!